Lisa asked: Any suggestions on how to sleep through the night?
I am a human-potential coach with focus on sexuality, creativity and business.
I have been studying yoga, meditation, tantra, wellness and healing modalities since 2000.
A few tips:
- Meditate before sleep for 10-20 minutes. Just witness your breath. Gentle slow yoga is also recommended.
- Avoid heavy food 4-5 hours before sleep and any food 2-3 hours before sleep.
- Regulate your body temperature. You will not fall asleep if you are too cold or too hot. Although some experts recommend an ice-cold bath before sleep, it doesn’t work for me.
- Avoid staring at a screen before sleep. Install an app such as flux for mac to change the color temperature of your screen so it resembles sunset colors. Decrease the brightness of the screen if you have to use it.
- Avoid high-energy activities such as working out 2-3 hours before sleep.
- Avoid problem-solving activities before sleep. Instead, read a fictional novel.
- Aim to get to sleep by 11pm. This promotes the best sleep cycle.
- Avoid strong lights 2-3 hours before sleep. Dim the lights.
- Avoid loud and high-energy music before sleep.
- Avoid sugary food before sleep, and specifically chocolate and coffee.
- If possible, decrease or eliminate coffee from your diet, as it hurts your sleep cycle.
Does this help?